Values-based Education (VbE) is a process (education) that enables children to develop their personal capacity to be “self-leaders”, thereby developing their social capacity to affect society positively.
To achieve this schools need to encourage activities that nurture children’s positive innate capacities.
- a community inspired set of universal positive human values such as respect, honesty, justice, humility and compassion
- whole staff cultural development
- focus on the development of ethical intelligence, through an expanded ethical values vocabulary, promoting a new transformational universal language based on values
- insights into relational neurobiology and the development of reflective practices
- knowledge of the ‘inner curriculum’ i.e. how my brain/mind works and how I (the Self) can be responsible for its development
- transformational leadership
- modelling of the values by all adults